Sunday, January 23, 2011

Observation 4.

Absence.






Alone in the studios, it became increasingly apparent how absence is present. No people; does art happen without people, without a presence. Absence has made room for a reconfigured presence. Absence has created a new environment.

I found myself noticing the effects of absence. The darkened spaces, the absence of light, the inanimate objects left as insignificant objects, and the decay of the world. While my perception of absence is completely compromised by my presence, it makes me wonder then what really is absence? Must it be specified? Illustrated? Pondered upon? Or is it felt? How does absence exist? Is my experience of absence the experience of dulled or absent senses, or simply the understanding of the circumstance I experience while noticing the absence of a particular factor within a space?

In the absence of our presence, new composition is found. How is it possible to understand these spaces fully, when we are only privy to their intimacies while we are effectively changing them with our presence. What mood do they become without us, and what significance does a presence make.

No comments:

Post a Comment